Half-a-Nyonya

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ello ebelibadeiii! *lambai tangan sepenuh jiwa*
First of all, much apologies for the very late post. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to more updates on this blog. *bunyi cengkerik*

So today I'm gonna talk about the History of kebaya nyonya.
*cikgu sejarah mode:ON*
-
-
-
*krohhhh zZzzZz*
Ok maybe not. But a very quick summary:

Kebaya Nyonya is a floral embroidered blouse worn by the ladies(nyonya) of inter-marriage Chinese-Malay descendants in the straits of Melaka. In the 15th century, Princess Hang Li Po of China was married to the Sultan of Melaka, Sultan Mansur Shah aka Parameswara. So in the years to come, many more of these marriages took place which led to the very unique BabaNyonya culture. They are very artsy-fartsy people I must say, full of rich culture, values and traditions and one of their distinct heritage is the beautiful Kebaya Nyonya.

For more exciting info on the BabaNyonya you can read this. Thank you Petite Nyonya, you're such a darling inspiration. I love all her cooking, and you know her indispensable ingredients, I actually have all of them in my kitchen cabinet all the time. I mean who in London keeps belacan and gula melaka? Which makes me think. My dad is half Malay and half Chinese, from Melaka, wouldn't that make me half-a-Nyonya?


*perasan nyonya walaupun muka jawa totok*

Winky winks,
Aufa Dahlia

4 comments:

mangkuk statik said...

Yes! Aku first comment everrr!
Fuyoo! Lawa banner kat atas tu. Jeles la ni! Camner opa buat hah?
Good Luck memblogging.

Aufa Dahlia said...

Thank you Abg Azam!
Banner tu copy je dpd 'blogger templates' , ada banyak kot template cantik2 kat website tu :)

Amir Hazwan said...

Sultan Mansur aka Parameswara? Ye ke? Bukan Parameswara tu sultan yang 1st ke? *confused

Aufa Dahlia said...

Hi Hadi! eh Amir! Haha kalau tak silap, Parameswara tu nama Hindu/Siam dia, tapi bila dia convert to Islam nama dia jadi Sultan Mansur Shah :)

Post a Comment